The trouble with rentals, of course, is that you cannot do much about the major fixtures and finishes, but it's amazing what a little decor can do to give a space like this some glamour! I made 5 simple and affordable changes and really changed the look of my rental washroom! (See the 'before' here).
1. Interesting Mirror: The tough thing about rentals is they often come with a basic sheet mirror. If you can take it down and replace it, that's a great option, but you can also mount mirror on mirror. I found this octagonal mirror at Good Will for $4 and simply hung it from a chain.
2. Art Work: I painted these black and white abstract pieces for the bathroom. They add an instant chicness and also some personality to the space. Each blank canvas cost me about $5 at Michael's.
3. Black and White: The thing about beige is that it doesn't always pair well with colours. Although technically a 'neutral', it does not go very well with brights. Black and white helps to add a freshness and glamour, without clashing or competing with the beige finishes. Navy also looks great! Avoid colored towels as well. Nothing beats the clean, crisp look of hotel whites, and it's easy to tell when they need washing.
4. Unique Accessories: Add a few accessories that tie into your neutral colour scheme, while providing a little bit of unexpected whimsy. Here, two foo dogs found at the flea market guard my sink. I also covered up my kleenex box with a vintage bamboo case which helps relate the tones in the oak cabinet (which I am not a huge fan of) to the rest of the space.
5. Declutter: Try to keep the facewash, toothpaste, body wash, etc. tucked neatly away within the cabinet, at least when guests come over.
Bonus points for fresh flowers!
Here is a little look back at my original concept sketch, and the before and after!
I'm officially convinced that black and white can fix anything! Tiny changes with BIG impact, people.
Hope you all had a great weekend.