PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

2.15.2016

Cane Chair Makeover - Switch Studio


I was browsing craigslist one afternoon when I saw a listing for a pair of vintage cane chairs on sale at the local (okay, not local, I had to drive about 45 minutes) ReStore. Now, let me tell you, a pair of anything vintage is hard to come by, and when you do find a pair, it usually means $$$. But these were reasonably priced at $50 each, no tax. I knew that I had to have them. 

After folding down the seats in my parents' van and making the drive to the location, I was a bit disappointed to see that the upholstery was in very bad shape. The cream striae velvet was very yellowed and very dark and stained in places, and some spots looked like they had been scratched by a cat, leaving rips and tears in the fabric. Still, they were the perfect thing for the apartment I was on the verge of renting, and I knew with a little love they could be really special. See the before below:
Fast forward 11 months into living at the new apartment and the chairs were still sitting here unchanged. Finally, I enlisted the help of reupholster extraordinaire Staci Edwards of Switch Studio. I left the fabric, chairs and plan in Staci's capable hands and on Saturday, I went to pick them up!! I was so nervous to see them but I am thrilled with how they turned out!



I went with a simple 100% linen in soft blue from Designer Fabrics for the front body of the chair. While I initially thought about doing a striped pipe as well, I think it would have been too busy with the texture of the cane. The stripe on the back panel, however, is the perfect touch. It adds pattern and interest but is not trendy. It is classic and timeless. 

Switch Studio also did up the sweet little lumbar pillows. The Schumacher fabric used was the first 'ah-ha' moment I had when developing the scheme for this room. It really made the corals and aquas in my existing (and beloved) rug make sense, and I used this fabric to pick out the fabric for my sofa cushions. I love the contrasting coral pipe on these pillows. It compliments my coral velvet pillows from Stuck on Hue so nicely. 


 I chose to keep the wooden and cane frames of the chairs in their original condition. They are a little roughed up, but I love the sense of patina and history that they contribute. I like my vintage in vintage condition.

 The peak-a-boo striped back is so charming.


Truthfully, I thought about attempting a DIY reupholstery job on these chairs to save money, but I knew that I wanted to keep these chairs for many years to come and didn't want to mess them up. I wanted them to look perfect, not just 'good enough considering I did it myself'.  

Switch Studio did an amazing job on the chairs and pillows and I couldn't be more thrilled! Well worth the investment. They are located in Oakville and service Oakville, Burlington, Mississauga, Milton, and Greater Toronto Area. If you are looking for an excellent, fairly priced option for reupholstery, this is your spot! A big thank you to Staci Edwards for making my chair dreams come true!
Photobucket

15 comments:

Unknown said...[Reply]

Thank you for sharing the post.kindly visit us @ Best Ayurvedic Hospitals in Tamilnadu - Aburvaa

Unknown said...[Reply]

Really Nice gave me lot of idea and also best designer in the Bangalore linked BelowFamous interior designers in bangalore | interior design solutions in Bangalore








Unknown said...[Reply]

Good Work.Keep Posting ,link to my Siteinterior design living room | interior design of house

Unknown said...[Reply]

Nice!!! thanks for sharing, for more interiors in Chennai visit wuddees for more design

Pooja.Kote said...[Reply]

Valuable information shared...Need more info.
Top Designing Institute in India, Best Interior Institure in India | Inifd

Unknown said...[Reply]

Very nice. Sweet pick on the chairs. Just found new antique store in my area and it is well worth the stop and shop. So happy to see this is Canadian blog! Need to find an upholstere in my area.So much fun to recreate a piece.

Unknown said...[Reply]

Nice blog shared here. One can also get the details of bsc colleges in nagpur only at IIDT. Thanks for sharing.

milk and cookies said...[Reply]

Where is the stripe fabric from. The like doesn't seem to be working for me. Thanks!

Unknown said...[Reply]

thanks a lot for sharing this informative site, i find it very interesting and this is such a big helped for all of us.. aluminium doors

Jimy said...[Reply]

These chairs are looking so neat and beautiful after getting makeover. I will also call someone who can give this makeover to my home's furniture.

Optimization Systems said...[Reply]

Nice Post., BramhaCorp offers 2 BHK & 3 BHK flats in Kharadi Pune , extension, Nearby EON IT Park with all Amenities and Conveniences Flats in Kharadi .

Unknown said...[Reply]

I WANT THIS CHAIR

In Event Furnishing Pte Ltd said...[Reply]

Thanks for sharing more information.

One of the best high quality tiffany chair rental for kids furniture rental in Singapore.

Unknown said...[Reply]

What's the cost on reupolstering these?

salome said...[Reply]

I wondered the same thing