PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

11.13.2012

DIY Ribbon and Linen Pinboard

Inspired by this image...
via
Yes that's right, inspired by an inspiration board...
by a pinboard I found on Pinterest.
Obviously I'm still collecting lovely things to add to my board, but the base looks pretty close!

Supplies: 
-Large Cork Board
-5/8'' White Gros Grain Ribbon (here)
-1 Yard of Neutral Linen (here)
-Cotton Batting
-Regular Stapler
-Staple Gun
-White out Pen
-SprayAdhesive
-Glue Gun
-Buttons
We know that linen pinboards can cost a bundle...like this $200 one from Pottery Barn.
This one comes up at around $40, a great price I think!

Here are the steps (and poor quality photos..)
 
1. Cover the cork side of your board with spray adhesive.

 2. Apply a thin layer of cotton batting.

3.  Lay your linen out face down on a smooth flat surface and place your board cotton side down on top. Cut to size, leaving extra around the edges (Sorry about this blurry picture!).

4. Begin to staple (I used a regular stapler) your fabric to the back of the board. Begin in the middle of each side and work your way out to the corners. Fold the corners as neatly as possible!

5. Time to add ribbon! This part takes a bit of playing around to get the angles and measurements right.  Once you've got it laid out, staple the ribbon in place on the back side.

6. To slightly tuft the board, add a staple using the staple gun in the middle of each x of ribbon.
 (I started with upholstery tacks but they kept popping out, the staple gun worked much better. Also, use the white out pen to cover the staples so they blend with the ribbon better).

6. Add buttons of your choosing using a glue gun! (I used pink and white like the inspiration picture)

7. Hang and Enjoy!
 ^My fave buttons are these adorable little hearts!

xox
Photobucket

15 comments:

Kristen said...[Reply]

Wow this looks amazing! Love that all of your DIYs are so cost effective! Can't wait to see it covered in pretty inspiration!

Anonymous said...[Reply]

Adorable!!! Just like I said yesterday - you always have the best DIY's!

Lisa { Mom Wife Design Life Blog} said...[Reply]

This is too adorable ! Thank you for showing me your ways! hhah
www.showeredwithdesign.blogspot.com

allergic to vanilla said...[Reply]

Very home decor chic! My sorority sister used to make these for the new members, great idea!

xo Carlina
AllergicToVanilla.com

Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door said...[Reply]

The pink hearts are the perfect little touch. So great!

Tim said...[Reply]

fantastic! i'm inspired and totally thinking of doing this for a project i'm working on!!

Thanks Tiffany!

Amy @ Five Kinds of Happy said...[Reply]

That's beautiful, I'm in the middle of our office redo and have been wondering about what kind of pretty pinboard options I have! You did an awesome job of it. :)

Lianna@theresnoplacelikehomemke.com said...[Reply]

So cute love the board! I just made one myself a while back!

Brooke @ Inside-Out Design said...[Reply]

This is so so pretty Tiffany!!

Brooke @ Inside-Out Design said...[Reply]

I love it so much I'm featuring it tomorrow!! (the 15th)

Unknown said...[Reply]

Love this idea! I have a small one from target I bought years ago, and everyone always asks because they can't find one, i'm just going to forward them this link so they can make it for themselves :)

Michaela said...[Reply]

What a cute pin board! it's a real life version of Pinterest :) I made a bulletin board like this a while back and had it in my room at home, but it now doesn't go with my colors. Maybe I'll make a neutral one!

Unknown said...[Reply]

This is so cute, thanks for sharing! I like this because it's cute but still easy enough for me to do. I'm going to go looking for fabric sometime this week to make one.

http://www.vistavisuals.com.au/index.php/products/pinboards.html

Unknown said...[Reply]

I would love to make a pin board like this! It would definitely make my office less boring! Plus, I love the idea of the ribbon you added. It adds a way to store things without having to pin them! http://www.vistavisuals.com.au/index.php/products/pinboards.html

Lindsay Living said...[Reply]

It's so adorable. I've been admiring the framed photos and this pinboard around your little desk and wanting to recreate that to some degree. I already hung two framed paintings of Russia above my desk. Now I just need to make a ribbon board like this one! So cute!